Sunday, 3 May 2015

LES ÉGLISES - SAINT-JEAN DE MONTMARTRE


Saint-Jean de Montmartre with its imposing facade was built between 1897 and 1908 using the very new technology of steel reinforced concrete.  Fearing that the church would collapse, building operations were stopped and a demolition order sought.  Fortunately rigorous tests showed that the structure was completely stable and safe and of course the engineers were correct - it is still standing more than 100 years on.

OJ 


No comments:

Post a Comment