The bastide of Monpazier is one of the "Plus beaux villages de France" and is also regarded as the best preserved bastide (a fortified town) in the Dordogne.
The village was founded in 1284 by Edward the First of England during the English occupation of Aquitaine. Monpazier only reverted to French control during the reign of Charles the Fifth of France (1366 - 1380).
The remains of the vertical slots in which the port cullis was raised and lowered can clearly be seen in the tower at the main entrance to the village (shown below).
The narrow streets are set in a grid pattern facilitating defence in the event of an attack.