The coat of arms of Paris celebrates the city's origin as an important port linked to the sea by the Seine.
Not shown in this photograph is the city's motto: Fluctuat nec mergitur which means buffeted by the waves but does not sink.
The coat of arms was adopted in the 13th century with Charles V adding the Fleur de lys in 1358. The motto was added in the 16th century and was retained until the Revolution in 1789. Baron Haussmann reintroduced the coat of arms in November 1853.